Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 3

I know what you're thinking: "Already?"  Believe it. I know I just posted "Day 2" last night, but that's how Nick Kapande rolls. No rest for the ... um ... No rest for this guy!! (I think that's how the saying goes.)

Today's posting revolves around the single most powerful part of your body:  The Mind. Your mind is truly an amazing tool when put to use. Your success, and your failure, rests solely on the power of your mind. It can control you; it can make your body do things you never thought possible. And it is an effective weapon when put to the test. Today's work-out brought the power of the mind to the forefront of my challenge, like never before. I'd like to introduce you to four key elements that came into play during this morning's grueling, muscle-straining work-out. (The hardest one to date ... in 3 days).

CONCENTRATION: The dictionary defines "concentration" as: intense mental application; complete attention; the act or process of concentrating with undivided attention.

WILL-POWER: The dictionary defines "will power" as: the strength of will (or mind) to carry out one's decisions, wishes or actions.

ADVERSITY: The dictionary defines "adversity" as: distress, affliction, hardship; an unfortunate event or incident to overcome.

GAG REFLEX: The dictionary defines "gag reflex" as: normal reflex consisting of retching; an automatic instinctive uncontrollable reaction to a stimulus.

It took all of the Concentration and Will-Power I had to overcome the Adversity and the Gag Reflex I experienced at several times during my work-out with Nick this morning. It was all I could do to keep from losing my stomach on Nick's dark green carpeted floor in the sweatbox he calls a "gym". The good news is this:  My mind is a powerful and wonderful tool when faced with such adversity and I came away from this morning's class with my integrity ... and my breakfast ... still intact. You're a noble and persistent foe, Nick Kapande, and I applaud your efforts to whip me into shape. Until tomorrow morning, you all may find me firmly planted in my desk chair at the office as any sort of physical movement whatsoever may set off a chain of events you won't necessarily want to bear witness too.

Thank you for reading this, and for your words of support.  I sincerely appreciate it.

Jeffrey Bowers
Director of Sales
Denver Life Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment