Wednesday, January 26, 2011

DAY 14

DAY 14 

Nick's Away!

Tonight, Tuesday, was our first class sans Nick Kapande - spirited owner and Fitness Guru!  Nick left for a business trip so fellow Conditioning Class veteran, Mike McMahon, took on the leadership role and took over the reins of leading this fit group of people through an invigorating workout.  And when I say "fit" to describe the group, of course you understand that I am so not including myself in that group.  It is more of a metaphor, really.  But I'm working on it!  It was a different vibe with Mike at the head of the class.  Not better, or worse, just a completely different leadership style!

A few differences to note between Nick and Mike:
1) Nick well tell us towards the end of the workout that he "can't hurt us in just 10 minutes", as he then proceeds to hurt us in remaining 10 minutes of class.  Mike does not make any such claims, but does a great job keeping Nick's fast-paced energy during the class.
2) During an exercise like knuckle push-ups, or leg lifts, Nick yells: "only 10 more! You can do it" ... and then makes us do 20 more for good measure!  Mike counts down and when he gets to 1, he actually stops.
3) Both Nick and Mike do a great job of not only doing the exercises with the class, but also stopping to help those who might not be doing the exercise correctly.  However, Nick then moves you to the front row so he can keep a keen eye on you for the remainder of class!  I find myself in the front row A LOT.  And I don't think it's because Nick likes my witty banter or wants to make idle chat during the workout.  He's all business.
4) Mike can't kick as high as Nick.  Nick's got a pretty impressive side kick!

Yes, despite my frivolous hopes that Nick's absence might mean a bit of a reprieve for us in our workout, those hopes were quickly dashed as Mike settled in to the quick-paced, high intensity workout just as Nick does every day.  A major bummer.  As I told you in my "Day 3" posting, I am a man who looks for the short-cuts without someone standing there to hold me accountable, because short-cuts don't hurt as much!  Mad Mike had his shifty eyes scanning the class the entire time, making sure no one (me) was cheating themselves during the workout.  Curse you and your razor-like eye sight, Mike McMahon!  No rest for the weary this night.  Nick would be proud. 

Thank you for reading.
Jeffrey Bowers
Director of Sales
Denver Life Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment