Saturday, January 29, 2011

DAY 16

DAY 16 

TAEKWON-DO ... And TAEKWON-DON'T!

Due to a meeting this morning, I had to miss the typical Thursday morning Conditioning Class at Nick's Pro Fitness in Evergreen!  But that is ok, because in the evening, members of the Conditioning Class do have the option of working out with the Thursday evening TaeKwon-Do Class!  To be honest, I was looking forward to seeing how their workout differs from the Conditioning Class workout. 

When I walked into the gym for the workout, I suddenly felt a bit out of place.  In the gym, doing all sorts of cool-looking TaeKwon-Do moves were kids ranging in age from 9 years to 18 years old!  And they were all dressed in their cool, white TaeKwon-Do outfits and colorful belts!  And there I was, ... a middleaged guy in basketball shorts and a t-shirt.  I was so underdressed for this group of serious, high-kicking, swift-punching group of kids. Then it went from awkward to downright laughable when about 11 girls from the Evergreen High School Girls Soccer Team showed up for the workout.  Now I really felt old and out of place.  Fortunately for me, a few other "elder" members of Nick's Pro Fitness showed up and I didn't feel so out of place.

The TaeKwon-Do workout is significantly different from Nick's Conditioning Class.  First off, they all bow and speak a few Korean phrases to each other.  And there is no shortage of "YES SIR!" and "NO SIR" responses coming from the group like a military unit to their commanding officer. Next, we started running.  Yup.  In the gym.  In wide circles.  No stretching first.  No Evergreen Gossiping amongst the members during Social Stretching.  Just started running.  And after we ran for a while, we changed it up a bit and did sprints!  And then some frog leaps.  Followed by some bear crawls.  And a few other leg-burning exercises, but I don't really remember because my heart was racing so fast, and I was trying too hard to catch my breath to really comprehend what my body was doing.  Needless to say, I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the athleticism and energy level of all of the TaeKwon-Do students and the soccer girls.  They were like a bunch of gazelles, sprinting their way across the Serengeti. And I was like the big wildebeest drinking from the muddy river and lumbering along.  (Sorry, I'm watching "Planet Earth" on cable tv as I write this posting!  I LOVE THIS SHOW!!)

I've decided that no matter what fitness class you show up for at Nick's Pro Fitness, they will ALL give you the best workout you can possibly hope for.  Nick's is not a place to go and "be seen", or to just do a few sit-ups and maybe run on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes. This is a place to get in shape, and work your butt off.  No question about it.  Now give Nick's a call, or just make the 20 minute drive up I-70 to the Evergreen Parkway exit.  It is worth it if you are even considering getting in shape, or losing some extra weight.  You will not be disappointed!

Thank you for reading.
Jeffrey Bowers
Director of Sales
Denver Life Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment