Friday, February 18, 2011

DAY 32

DAY 32 - Thursday

Me and the Girls!

Due to meetings this morning, I had to miss the regularly scheduled morning Fitness Conditioning class at Nick's and instead workout with the evening Tae-Kwon Do class.  I have done this before, and it is a change in the normal workout routine.  The Tae-Kwon Do group does more running and aerobic exercises, versus the strength-building Fitness Conditioning classes.  So the change is a good one, because I can get some cardio exercise into my weekly workouts.

However, it is always an interesting dynamic when you go to the Tae-Kwon Do class!  In addition to all of the kids in their Tae-Kwon Do, white uniforms running around, you also have those of us who are there for the fitness aspect.  Half are dressed to attack and defend and exercise self-discipline and mental toughness, half of us are dressed to sweat and go home. Tonight's "workout" group was a small one.  Six girls from the Evergreen High School girl's soccer team, and five of us well beyond our high school days! 

After the Tae-Kwon Do portion of the workout (running, sprints, bear crawls, high knees, etc.) was completed, it was time to split the group.  Those dressed in white and ready to defend and pursue where sent to one side of the gym to work on their Tae-Kwon Do skills and yelling, while those of dressed in mis-matched shorts and t-shirts were sent to the other side of the gym to get in more exercises.  For me, I was grouped together with the Evergreen High School Girl's Soccer Team.  Me and the girls.  Teeny-Boppers and a middle-aged man with a gut! I knew this would get interesting.

As instructed, the girls and I had to do jumps, runs, and suicide sprints.  As these athletic soccer players took off with gusto, it was all I could do just to keep up.  Without hesitation, they would jump over the cones, sprint to the wall, run backwards, and then side-shuffle back to the start.  They were like a pack of gazelles!!  Leaping and running like it was a fun game, or something.  And then there was the Wildebeast behind them.  Jumping and landing with an audible "Thud", and then jogging to the wall while I tried to control my breathing, only to then have to turn around to run backwards and concentrate so as not to trip over anything!  The girl's soccer team was very considerate so as NOT to lap me!  And they all yelled encouraging words to each other as a cohesive group during the workout.  I tried to join in, but my words came out breathy and sometimes inaudible as I tried to cheer us on without passing out from exhaustion.  

At the end of the workout, as I lay on my back trying to catch my breath and stretch my sore leg muscles while my knees and ankles cracked with every movement, the Evergreen High School Girl's Soccer Team all leaped to their feet, gave each other fist bumps, and then exchanged kind, sympathetic words of: "Good job!" to me as they filed out of the gym.  Buncha show-offs! 

Thank you for reading.
Jeffrey Bowers
Director of Sales
Denver Life Magazine

1 comment:

  1. Jeff,
    I love this blog it's hilarious. I remember this Thursday, but you need to give yourself some credit! You were not the beast! You were pretty good and the workout was just as challenging for me as it was for you. Plus, your effort shows! I had gone for three weeks and I could already tell you lost weight!

    Kyrstin K. - one of the Evergreen High School soccer girls

    ReplyDelete