Thursday, February 10, 2011

DAY 24

DAY 24 - Monday (still in Pittsburgh!)

XSANITY!

That is the name of the fitness class I signed up for today (Monday) and Tuesday during my last 2 days visiting Pittsburgh.  XSANITY is the gym's "most physically intense workout" they offer!  So I figured: "Why not?"

When my wife and I showed up for the class, 2 things struck me right away: 1) There were only 4 other people who had signed up for the class, and 2) The instructor had a check list on a clipboard that she was using to TEACH the class!  I thought "this will be interesting".

As the class began, we were instructed to do a 10-minute warm-up on an eliptical machine.  "Make the 10 minutes count! Push yourself, if you can" were our instructions.  Nothing else.  So, away we went on to our eliptical machines for 10 minutes of cardio.  At the conclusion, we were to meet the instructor in the Free Weights area of the gym.  Once there, she told us each to grab a set of 20lb weights.  At that time, she picked up her check list and told us we would be doing "Day 16 of the P90X routine, starting off with three (3) sets of 15 reps of bicep curls." 

I thought: "This is their 'most intense workout'?  P90X? Where's the creativity? Where's the over-caffeinated fitness instructor.  I can do P90X at my own house anytime I want! Why go to a gym for that?"  But, off we went.  45 minutes of three sets of 15 reps each of various arm and shoulder exercises with the 20lb weights.  Upon conclusion of the 45 minutes of weights - which did get my arm and should muscles somewhat fatigued - we went to the gym for the "cardio" portion of our XSANITY workout.

Once in the gym, I am pleased to write that the clipboard was set aside and for 20 minutes straight, we went from one exercise to the next with 15 seconds rest in between each exercise.  A series of various types of lunges, jumping jacks, sit-ups, push ups, and suicide sprints.  I definately could feel my muscles burning after 45 minutes of weights, and then going right to a fast-paced series of exercises. 

Overall, the XSANITY class was fun.  It was different.  I felt I got a decent workout in, but this was still nothing compared to the INSANITY that is the Fitness Conditioning Classes at Nick's Pro Fitness!  But it was great to get out and see for myself what another gym offers its members for a total-body workout.  And my thought is still this: Nick does an incredible job of giving you a workout like no other.

Thank you for reading.
Jeffrey Bowers
Director of Sales
Denver Life Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment