Thursday, February 10, 2011

DAY 25

DAY 25 - Tuesday (Last day in Pittsburgh, PA)

The XSANITY Continues!!

Today, my wife and I decided to give the XSANITY Class another shot as it was my last day in PA!  And Monday's workout wasn't a total bust.  I did feel that I got in a decent workout.  Better than sitting at a table and eating a Pittsburgh-original "Almost Famous Pastrami & Cheese" sandwich, right!?!  Well, no.  I would have MUCH rather been at the Primanti Brothers in the Strip District of North Pittsburgh, eating a sandwich loaded with coleslaw and french fries ON the sandwich!  MMmmmm... heavenly, greasy goodness!  I can feel my arteries clogging just at the thought, but I digress.

Today's XSANITY class followed much the same path as Monday's.  10 minutes of "warm-up" cardio, only this time on a stationary bike, followed by 45 minutes of weight lifting sets with free weights.  The last 20 minutes of cardio is where I actually get my heart rate above 75 bpm. 

Overall, my time in PA was an educational one!  It showed me just how committed and self-motivated you have to be in order to keep up the workout routines on your own when outside of your normal, daily life.  And that goes for everyone who travels for their job and thinks they do not have time to workout, or stay in shape and keep the weight off!  For me, it was especially challenging as not only did I have to find a gym to workout in, but I had to continue to eat the right food everyday.  When on vacation, that becomes a real thought-provoking chore.  My in-laws own and operate an Italian eatery in Northwestern PA that serves some of THE BEST food you can find!  It is all home-made and over-sized portions.  And the menu also consists of about 75% good, Italian comfort food items!  Not great if you are trying to watch what you eat. 

The good news is they do also offer waist-line friendly dishes like grilled chicken breasts, steaks, grilled fish, and grilled pork chops.  But to go to a true Italian eatery and have to forego the Pastas, the Pizza, and the deep-fried goodness of ... well, anything that can be deep fried ... is torture.  Fortunately for me, my wife was there to give me that time-tested, all-knowing female look of the Raised Eyebrows and surprised-sounding "Huh!" whenever I would be even glance at the Pastas or Pizzas side of the menu.  That all-encompassing expression of: "Don't even think about it!" and "I knew you couldn't handle it" all-at-once look. It is the kind of expression where, as men, we ALL immediately belt out the typical male response as: "WHAT?  What's THAT look for? I'm just looking.  I wasn't actually going to do it!  Don't give me that look!  And yes, it WAS a look!" answer!  We are so predictable as men. 

Mission accomplished!  I was able to continue eating right, and find the time between my family and other obligations while visiting the great State of Pennsylvania, to get in a daily workout so as not to lose any momemtum I have gained in the four short weeks of working out at Nick's Pro Fitness.  I am very proud of myself, and I now KNOW that I can, in fact, make this new lifestyle change a long-term commitment and way of life for me.  Not just a 6 week fad! 

Thank you for reading.
Jeffrey Bowers
Director of Sales
Denver Life Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment